Thursday, July 14, 2011

Welcome!


I like to cook.  I won't call myself a chef or toot my own horn about being a whiz in the kitchen by any means, but I do like to prepare meals for my family.  I love that satisfaction you get from serving something the kids (and husband) like.  It's like an accomplishment, like making a good grade on a paper you worked your tail off for, and it actually paid off!

My problem is my schedule.  I work about an hour from home, and with my husband being on the road a lot, it's hard to get a home-cooked meal on the table without a little forethought and a whole lot of planning!

That's where the idea for this blog comes in.

On Fridays (and sometimes Saturdays), I will sit down with the weekly paper and go through the grocery store sales.  This gives me an idea of what's being offered at a good price, and what's in season this time of the year.  Buying strawberries in the summer when they're actually IN SEASON means they're going to taste much better than the ones grown in greenhouses year round, when strawberries aren't supposed to be available.  The other thing I like to do is browse at the farmers' market.  The prices can often be higher at the FM (at least in my experience), but sometimes you'll come across a good deal, and any time I can work vegetables into a dish that my youngest boy will eat (since vegetables seem to be against his religion or something) is like a feather in my cap.

So anyway, I plan my menus accordingly, and then I shop.  The next day, I'll cook, and I mean for the whole week.  That way, when the kids and I come home in the evenings, it's only a matter of minutes to get a home-cooked meal from the fridge to the table.  I'm also saving money because we're not relying on fast food and drive-thrus to get food into my kids, which I don't like the idea of anyway.

Not all recipes reheat well.  I've learned this the hard way.  But sometimes, you'll come across a recipe that does well both in the fridge and the freezer, and those types of recipes are what this blog is all about.  I hope to share what I find are successful--or not--and build my recipe repertoire to use in the years to come.

Since my kids are nowhere near old enough to cook, I guess it's just gonna be up to me for now!  LOL

Feel free to leave a comment on any of my posts.  I like to hear what people think about recipes and food, and perhaps even share a tip or two that works for you!  This is going to be a work in progress, but by all means jump in and participate!  There's room in my kitchen for a few extra cooks.  :)

Happy cooking, fellow "Foodies"!!

No comments:

Post a Comment