Thursday, September 8, 2011

The Incredible Edible Pea Pod


I've done the shrimp fried rice a few times now, and I'd say I'm quite getting the hang of it.  This week I found a great deal on a bag of snow peas (I still call them "mange tout" from my days in England), and I was inspired.  I LOVE these things in stir fries!  Basically, snow peas (a.k.a. sugar snap peas) are your regular garden peas just in "baby" form.  In fact, the French term describes it quite accurately, mange (pronounced MONGE with a soft G) meaning "eat" and tout (pronounced TOO) meaning "all."  You do quite literally eat it all, pod and all!

For those of you wanting a bit more in depth discussion, please check out this link here.

So, grabbing a bag of salad shrimp--which were on sale, as opposed to the usual small/medium shrimp I buy--I went with the Minute brown rice (I was in a bit of a time crunch) and threw this together in literally minutes.

Shrimp Fried Rice with Snow Peas

Neither of my boys cared for the snow peas, which mortified me for about 2 seconds, at which point I happily scoffed them.  LOL!  As a backup, however, I did include the peas and carrots for a little extra veggies, since I was skipping the mung bean sprouts this time.  (I know, sinner that I am.)

As usual, my youngest boy ate up all the rice and shrimp, carefully picking around anything that resembled a vegetable.  What surprised me was how, when finished, he proceeded to shovel the peas and carrots into his mouth until there was nothing left!

SCORE ONE FOR MOMMY!!!  <punches the air and mentally yells, "YES!!!">

My oldest boy calmly ate through two helpings of the stuff.  I was chuffed.  That's the beauty of stir fries though, they're so versatile!  You can make them with rice, noodles, or skip the starches and go with meat and/or veggies!  The sauce can be as simple or complex as you like.  And the best part...it all comes together in a matter of minutes.  I'm thinking of doing something with noodles next time, perhaps some of the thin and delicate rice noodles I've seen in many Asian stores or in the ethnic food aisles at the local grocery stores.  The possibilities are endless!

As for the rest of this week, well, we're still trying to get back on track with the cooking.  Leftover grilled chicken from this Labor Day weekend has made an appearance (of course it always tastes better the second time, when there's much less of it), and this Friday will be our recipe exchange dinner, so I'm not sure exactly what we'll be eating.  I'll be bringing the sausage, apple, and cranberry stuffing that's been the highlight of our last few Thanksgiving dinners, so hopefully that will go down well!

More next week, fellow foodies!

No comments:

Post a Comment